Thursday, May 21, 2009

In the Midst of the Madness--Enoch's Blog

Yesterday, after a blistering hot day of painting out at the Dai Loc orphanage, we headed back to Danang on motorbikes. Unlike the ride up to Dai Loc (if it hadn't been for my sunscreen I would have come out looking like a cherry), it rained. Altogether 6 of us were travelling from Dai Loc to Danang and there were only two bikes. I rode with Duc, my closest friend in Vietnam, and his 3 year old daughter Sally. Duc drove and I sat behind him cradling the little girl. Boy, what an uncomfortable ride.

Soon after taking off (around 5:45) I remembered my English class at 6:30. We still had an hour's drive ahead of us and no supper in our tummies--I had to cancel class.

I somehow was able to hold onto Sally with one arm and slide my hand into my pocket to pull out my phone. I started texting away.

After disappointing my students with my short text message, I clung onto Sally as we weaved in and out of traffic, dodging motorbikes, trucks, and large buses racing to get home. In the midst of all the madness God was able to show me something. I felt like He was telling me to look around at everything He had made. I noticed the rice fields full of water, stretching for what seemed like miles 'till they reached the mountains where the sun was setting for the day. Ahead of us there was a full rainbow, dark clouds rolling close behind. How great is our God?

Where I live back in the States there are many views that rival the ones I see in Vietnam, but I don't always take the time to see them. Yesterday, God slowed me down and reminded me of the miracle of His creation. Maybe He wants to do the same for you. Maybe there are miracles all around you that you don't take the time to appreciate...and praise God for.

After all these things, I looked down at my little companion and noticed another miracle. Little Sally had fallen asleep in my arms...in the rain...on a motorcycle...on the winding roads of Vietnam.

Enoch

2 comments:

Unknown said...

wow should Fancy read this one?! sounds so dangerous. Just kidding. No really, very well put Enoch. Thanks for sharing.

-Lacie

Unknown said...

Beautiful post, Enoch! Well written, poignant and uplifting.